Mental health and resilience resources
LAST UPDATE 31 July 2020
With social distancing, isolation from family and friends, and the sudden and abrupt changes to people’s work arrangements, there has been a profound impact on many people’s mental health. As jurisdictions within Australia and New Zealand slowly emerge from COVID-19, the ASA is providing members with mental health resources to support you with some resilience during these difficult times.
Below are a number of practical guides that you, or family may wish to explore.
Online resources and support
Google ‘mentemia’ in either NZ or Australia for an excellent local guide
- THE ESSENTIAL NETWORK (TEN) is a mobile app developed for health care professionals to manage life and work through COVID-19.
- SMILING MIND provides frontline health workers with free access to their premium app, which offers practical tools to support good mental health
- GETTING THROUGH TOGETHER (NZ) – Whāia E Tātou Te Pae Tawhiti
- HEAD TO HEALTH - Australian Government COVID-19 support
- PANDEMIC KINDNESS MOVEMENT - supporting all health workers during the COVID-19 pandemic
- HEALTH PROMOTION CORONAVIRUS - Covid-19 VicHealth Resource Hub
- COVID CONNEXION - NSW Health Independent and professional wellbeing advice line for health workers
- CORONAVIRUS ANXIETY WORKBOOK - a tool to help you build resilience during difficult times
- WEBINAR – Mental Health and Wellbeing during Covid-19 | Dr Bec Jackson. This webinar identifys mental health implications of COVID-19 for front line health professionals.
- FACE COVID - eBook by Dr Russ Harris
- BLACK DOG INSTITUTE - Accredited webinars for health professionals
- MELON is an outstanding NZ government app to help with mental health during Covid-19
- BEYOND BLUE have a whole page devoted to COVID-19 coping mechanisms or phone 1800 512 348
- THE LOWDOWN is a direct and devoted resource to depression and anxiety in NZ
- HEADSPACE Mindfulness for your everyday life
- THIS WAY UP – Staying on track resource pack UNSW & St Vincent's Hospital
Australian crisis hotlines
- LIFELINE | 13 11 14 – www.lifeline.org.au – A crisis support and suicide prevention service for all Australians
- SUICIDE CALL BACK SERVICE | 1300 659 467 – www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au – A free service for people who are suicidal, caring for someone who is suicidal, bereaved by suicide or are health professionals supporting people affected by suicide Australia wide
New Zealand crisis hotlines
- LIFELINE | 0800 543 354 (0800 LIFELINE) or free text 4357 (HELP)
- SUICIDE CRISIS HELPLINE | 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- HEALTHLINE | 0800 611 116
- SAMARITANS | 0800 726 666