A vital part of the ASA’s dedication to promoting best practice in medical sonography involves producing and providing resources to guide sonographers in their work.
The ASA has published the following professional guidelines:
- November 2020 | ASA and ASUM joint Guidelines for Reducing Injuries to all Ultrasound Users
- May 2020 | Vasa praevia diagnosis in the mid trimester ultrasound
- May 2018 | Disinfection of intracavity ultrasound transducers
- Feb 2017 | Early pregnancy loss
- Dec 2015 | Intimate examinations, consent and chaperones
- Dec 2015 | Veins of the lower limb
- Nov 2015 | A sonographer's guide to clinical supervision
- Mar 2015 | Guide to assess scientific content
- Apr 2013 | The safe use and storage of ultrasound gel (2013) and background document
- Dec 2012 | Infection Prevention and Control Guidelines for Sonographers (2012) and Infection prevention and control for sonographers fast facts (2013)
The following documents have been reviewed and are endorsed by the ASA:
- Jul 2020 | Recommendations for the Assessment of Carotid Arterial Plaque by Ultrasound for the Characterization of Atherosclerosis and Evaluation of Cardiovascular Risk: From the American Society of Echocardiography, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography, Article in Press
- May 2020 | Recommendations on the use of multimodiality cardiovascular imaging in young adult competitive athletes, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Apr 2020 | Recommendations for Echocardiography Laboratories Participating in Cardiac Point of Care Cardiac Ultrasound (POCUS) and Critical Care Echocardiography Training: Report from the American Society of Echocardiography, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Mar 2020 | Australian Commission of Safety and Quality in Health Care advisory statement AS18/07: Reprocessing of reusable medical devices in health service organisations
- Mar 2020 | Recommendations for Multimodality Assessment of Congenital Coronary Anomalies: A Guide from the American Society of Echocardiography, Developed in Collaboration with the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Japanese Society of Echocardiography, and Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Jan 2020 | Australian guideline for prevention, diagnosis and management of acute rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease 3rd edition. Rheumatic Heart Disease Australia
- Jan 2020 | Guildelines for Performance, Interpretation, and Application of Stress Echocardiography in Ischemic Heart Disease Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography
- Dec 2019 | New Zealand Obstetric Ultrasound Guildelines 2019. New Zealand Government Ministry of Health
- Jun 2019 | Care Around Stillbirth and Neonatal Death – Section 3 Respectful and Supportive Perinatal Bereavement Care. Third Edition from the Perinatal Society of Australia and New Zealand (PSANZ) and the NHMRC Stillbirth Centre of Research Excellence
- Jan 2019 | Guidelines for Performing a Comprehensive Transthoracic Echocardiographic Examination in Adults: Recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography, Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography.
- Jul 2018 | International evidence-based guideline for the assessment and management of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Designed to provide clear information regarding PCOS to assist clinical decision making and support optimal patient care
- Feb 2017 | Guidelines for Reprocessing Ultrasound Transducers. This guideline was jointly produced by the Australasian Society for Ultrasound in Medicine and the Australasian College for Infection Prevention Control, published in the February 2017 issue of the Australasian Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- 2017 | Industry standards for the prevention of work related musculoskeletal disorders in sonography, Developed through a 2016 consensus conference hosted by the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
- Nov 2016 | Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Joint guideline from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and the Association of Early Pregnancy Units.
Australian Government guidelines:
- Sept 2020 | Informed consent - fact sheet for clinicians